Thursday, October 1, 2015

5th Grade Koi- Charcoal, Watercolor and Salt!

Fifth grade had such a great time with this lesson. When I showed them the example finished project at the beginning of the lesson, they said "WHOA, MISS- We are NOT going to be able to do this!" And my reply was "Uh, if I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT TOO!"
And they did.
Week 1, We drew koi fish together step by step using line and shape with charcoal.  I explained that we have to do the blended gray areas before the dark areas because of how charcoal smudges. We touched on value briefly, but I really wanted them to focus on making their fish accurate proportions.
Week 2, we used water color paint around the fish, discussed cool colors vs warm colors, and added salt for a "splash" effect!
This lesson had so much variety and opportunities to learn. And every student was successful!
...See? I knew they would be :)





No comments:

Post a Comment